ISOC update

I have now worked a bit more than 3 weeks out of my 4 weeks of IDA Summer of Code and this is an update post of what I’ve done so far. I will write a more extensive summary post at the end of the project. I was planning on writing a weekly summary, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

I’ve written a lot of documenting code examples, specifically making sure most of the methods in collections had examples. I’m especially proud of the main examples for priority_queue and rand I wrote about here and here.

I have one RFC where I propose to introduce a new keyword newtype. I don’t think it will be accepted, but it spurred some good discussions and something similar might be included further down the road. It remains to be seen if it will be with a new keyword or if we’ll utilize existing constructions.

Other than that I’ve done a bit of triage: the act of looking up old issues to see if they are relevant, update them and preferably fix them. I have done some small fixes to a couple of issues, most have been very minor ones like adjusting error messages or adding tests.

The time I have left I will try to fix more issues. This week I tried to add default arguments for json decoding when using Option, but I approached it the wrong way. I may attempt to do it “the right way” but I’m unsure if I can come up with a nice way.